My nephew’s birthday was coming up and I was baking his birthday cake. I was going to make him a simple small birthday cake but he decided he wanted a two tier toy story themed cake! lol..I’ll leave that story for another day. Anyway, I normally bake a little extra I use as taster when baking to decorate cakes, but this particular day the batter after pouring into tins needed gave me just a small ramekin as taster. With 5 kids (mine and my sister’s) running around my feet, hovering round me, looking at me with innocent eyes and asking me when cake was going to be ready, I knew I just had to bake another batch to satisfy the taste buds of these adorable children. I can’t let them go thinking Aunty Kemi is not nice at all😊
I made a quick decision to make cupcakes so they could have one each and not start drama on whose share is bigger if I were to make a loaf tin and cut. That was how this particular cupcake post was birthed. This recipe is a simple vanilla cupcakes. Bake with me..
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
INGREDIENTS (makes 12 cupcakes)
100g self raising flour
100g butter (softened)
100g caster sugar
Few drops vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1) Measure all ingredients ready
2) In a mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix till it’s fluffy and turns pale.
4) Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture very slowly while still mixing with electric mixer. This is to prevent the mixture from curdling.
5) Stop the electric mixer and carefully fold flour into the mixture with a spoon. It’s important you do not over mix the batter after folding in the flour or cake might come out dense if you do so.
6) Put cupcakes cases in a cupcake pan
Ignore my bent out of shape cupcake cases 😊
7) Scoop batter into cupcakes cases and bake in pre heated oven at 160degrees (gas mark 3) for 25 minutes or till cupcakes are done.
To check if cake is done, dip a toothpick or skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If it comes out wet then bake some more.
8) When the cupcakes are done, take out of the oven and let cool .
There you have cupcakes.
Fluffy and yummy
You can go ahead and glam it up by topping with some buttercream and sprinklers. For my buttercream recipe, click HERE.
I used mint green coloured buttercream with different coloured sprinklers
Don’t know what it is about this shot but I just love it…
Don’t forget to like K’s Cuisine fan page on facebook at www.facebook.com/kscuisine
“The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.”- Lee Lacocca