Hi food fam, It’s a quick recipe today. Yeah let’s do coleslaw 🙂
Coleslaw is a simple salad that comprises of finely shredded cabbage and carrot. It is commonly dressed with mayonnaise or salad cream and usually eaten as sides to Jollof rice, fried rice, and other rice dishes. Most times coleslaw is favoured to Nigerian salad because of the easy preparation over the latter. Find below how to make Coleslaw.
Preparation time: 10 minutres
Meal type: Sides, Appetisers
Mayonnaise or salad cream
1) Rinse the cabbage and using a knife, slice thinly on a chopping board.
You can use a grater but I personally find it easier and faster to use knife
2) Wash the carrots, use a potato peeler to scrape the skin off then shred with a grater.
Note below the side I use to grate
Here is what it looks like after grating
3) Mix the cabbage and grated carrot in a bowl
4) Add in mayonnaise or salad cream. Mix and you have coleslaw
5) Coleslaw is best served chilled. It is usually served in Nigeria as a side to accompany jollof rice, fried rice and other rice dishes.
It Can be eaten on it’s own as a meal or appetiser
You can add red cabbage to coleslaw for colour as in picture below
You can also add raisins or any crunchy vegetable as desired.
Follow me on instagram HERE for recipes and food pictures.
“Food is our common ground, a universal experience”- James Beard