Fish Sauce is versatile and popular in most Nigerian homes. It is commonly eaten with Yam, Agege bread, pasta and so on. Most commonly used Fish for this sauce is mackerel but you can use sardines and other types of fish. It is cooked similarly to Corned beef sauce and I dare say it’s sister to corned beef sauce.Younger sister perhaps? lol..
One of my memories of this sauce is having it with yam and my mum used to put on beans all in a bid to get me to eat beans. I would eat up the sauce on the beans, she would add more sauce and on the cycle goes till I had atleast eaten half of the beans. I’m sure back then she never thought that a day would come when I willingly cook and eat beans. God bless my mum and all great mums out there.
Here is my simple recipe for cooking fish sauce. Let’s get cooking:
3 scotch bonnet
1 bell pepper
400g plum tomatoes
1 brown onion
2 cooking spoons sunflower oil
2 maggi cubes
1kg Mackerel fish
1) Cut the Fish and clean.
2) Put the fish in a pot add stock cube and some water and leave to boil
3) Debone and Mash the fish then set aside
4) Blend the scotch bonnets, bell pepper, tomatoes and onion.
You can blend peppers in a combination that suits you. What you need is about 600ml of blended pepper.
5) Pour sunflower oil in a pot and heat. When heated, add the blended pepper, maggi cubes and salt. Leave to cook for 10- 15 minutes.
6) Stir and add the fish
7) Stir in the stew and leave to cook for five minutes. Stir intermittently
8) Take off heat and fish Sauce is ready.
Enjoy with Agege bread, yam, pasta, beans and many more
Don’t forget to share on facebook , twitter by using the share button below. Also follow me on instagram @kscuisine for mouthwatering food pictures.