Nigerian Turkey Stew is a tomato and pepper stew cooked with Turkey parts and simmered. This Nigerian tomato stew is easy to make and you will love the outcome of this recipe. You see, you only need few ingredients and you have great tasting stew you can use to eat almost any food.
Some call this type of stew African Stew, Tomato stew, pepper stew, fried stew or even red stew but whatever name it's called, Nigerians and Africans at large can all agree on one thing, this type of stew is a lifesaver in many homes.
One of the questions i get asked a lot is how i get the rich red colour for stews and the simple answer is pepper selection! You see the colour, flavour and taste of your Nigerian stew starts from when you are selecting peppers. I always use higher ratio of long peppers or bell peppers to tomatoes and scotch bonnet (ata rodo).
If you are Vegan, Vegetarian or plant based, you can skip the Turkey part and make just the stew.
For this Nigerian Stew recipe, i boiled and grilled the turkey rather than fried Turkey and that is because I usually opt for healthier version. Talking healthy, If you'd like to Lose weight on a Nigerian Diet, check out my other brand HERE
Before i start to bore you with much talk, Let's Cook:
NIGERIAN TURKEY STEW RECIPE
INGREDIENTS USED IN NIGERIAN STEW INCLUDE
The ingredients used in this Nigerian Turkey stew include Bell peppers, Tomatoes, Scotchbonnets, Onions,Vegetable or Sunflower Oil, Stock cubes, Salt and spices.
1) Add turkey in a pot, add curry powder, thyme, 2 stock cubes, half of the sliced onions and salt then add some water, cover put on stove and leave to cook.
2) Place cooked turkey on parchment paper lined tray and grill in the oven
3) Blend the bell peppers, scotchbonnets, tomatoes and onion then add the pepper in a pot and boil to reduce water.
4) In a pot, add vegetable oil and the remaining sliced onions and fry onions till brown. Take out the onions and discard before pouring oil in the pepper.
5) Add stock cubes, salt and leave to fry for 10 minutes before adding grilled turkey. Leave to fry.
That's your Nigerian Stew or African Stew ready.
Nigerian Turkey Stew
- 1 kg Turkey
- 3 Large Bell peppers
- 4 Tomatoes
- 3 Scotch bonnet
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 Redor Brown Onion (Sliced and halved)
- 4 Stock Cubes
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbspn Dried Thyme
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Put Cleaned Turkey parts in a pot, add curry powder, thyme, 2 stock cubes, half of the sliced onions and salt. Add some water, cover put on stove and leave to cook. When cooked, arrange cooked turkey on parchment paper lined tray and grill in the oven
- Blend the bell peppers (Tatashe), scotchbonnets, tomatoes and 1 onion. Add the pepper in a pot and boil to reduce water
- In a frying pan, add vegetable oil and the remaining sliced onions and fry onions till brown. Take out the onions and discard fried onions before pouring onion flavoured oil in the pepper.
- Add stock cubes, salt and leave to fry for 10 minutes before adding grilled turkey. Leave the stew to fry for another 5-10 minutes before taking of heat.
So delicious. You can enjoy with Pounded yam, Eba or any food of choice.
Some other delicious recipes you might be interested in are:
Follow K's Cuisine on instagram @kscuisine
Pin this recipe, share on facebook and don't forget to leave a comment below. I would like to read from you.