Chicken Curry Rice or chicken rice curry that is flavourful, delicious and hit the right spots. This easy curry rice recipe is absolutely amazing and won't dissapoint you!
If you are a frequent reader of my blog you already know how much i love eating rice. I eat rice a lot! (I think i need to do something about it- like i can eat rice 3 times a day for 365 days if i let myself. Yes a whole year and i won't get bored! Good thing i caution myself and eat it with sense). There are just so many ways one can cook and eat rice. Plain rice accompanied with different Stews and Sauces, as one pot meals like Jollof rice, Native Rice, Curried Rice, etc.. One can just not go wrong with rice dishes. This chicken rice curry is one of my favourite dish. It's flavourful and simply delicious. Here's my easy curry rice recipe :
Chicken Curry Rice Recipe
My chicken curry rice recipe is a one pot meal and it's pretty much straight forward. It takes 10 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook so total time is about an hour or less.
For this recipe, you will use other spices than just curry powder. The blend of these spices and curry powder makes this dish packed full of flavour. I hope you love this easy curry rice recipe as much as i do.
You can use any good curry powder. Madras curry powder and Jamaican curry powder are some of the ones i particularly like to use for this curried rice recipe but i have used different types of curry powder other times and tastes great too! So you can use your favourite type of curry powder.
Curry rice ingredients
For this rice curry, i use the easycook long grain or golden sella basmati rice. These two are my favourite, unproblematic types of rice to use. You can however use some other types of rice suggested in the recipe card below.
you will need curry powder, thyme, cameroon pepper or black pepper, coriander, cumin, paprika, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, scotch bonnet (you), sunflower or vegetable oil, rice, chicken (full ingredient details in recipe card)
How to make curry rice
Get all ingredients ready then marinate the chicken as detailed below in the recipe card.
Add oil in a pot and put on stove then add in the marinated chicken. Brown the chicken. This takes about 5-8 minutes.
Pour in sliced onions, garlic, coriander, ginger, thyme and curry powder then stir and fry for a minute to release the flavours.
Add in tomatoes, scotchbonnet, Cameroon pepper or black pepper, stock cube and water.
Stir then add in the washed rice and salt. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes or till rice is soft.
Fluff and stir the rice before taking off heat.
That's yummy Chicken curry rice done. Best served warm.
What to serve with curried rice
You can totally eat this chicken curry rice on its own however you can add sides like Coleslaw or Salad.
If you like this recipe, you'll love these other delicious recipes:
Chicken Curry Rice
- 500 g Chicken breast
- ¼ Cup Vegetable or sunflower oil
- 4 tbspn Curry powder halved
- 1 tbspn Dried thyme
- 1 Handful Fresh Coriander chopped
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Thumbsize Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Scotchbonnet Optional) chopped
- 2 Plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- ¼ teaspoon Cameroon pepper or black pepper
- 2 Cups Long grain or Sella basmati Rice
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Optional
- 3 Stock cubes 1 to marinate chicken and 2 for use later on
- Get all ingredients ready then marinate the chicken with paprika, 1 stock cube, tablespoon of Curry powder, thyme and salt.
- Add oil in a pot and put on stove then add in the marinated chicken. Brown the chicken This takes about 5-8 minutes.
- Pour in sliced onions, garlic, coriander, ginger, thyme and curry powder then stir and fry for a minute to release the flavours.
- Add in tomatoes, scotchbonnet, Cameroon pepper or black pepper, stock cube and water. Stir then add in the washed rice and salt.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes or till rice is soft.
- Stir rice before taking off heat.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for recipe videos where i take you through step by step. Sometimes getting visuals help! Follow K's Cuisine on Instagram and Pinterest. Also don't forget to rate this recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you.
See you in my next post,
"Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can" - Paul Tornier
This looks awesome! It looks easy to follow. I will be trying it tomorrow