As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Jollof spaghetti is spaghetti cooked in tomato sauce and spices just like one would cook jollof rice but using spaghetti instead. Some people also call it spaghetti jollof or Jollof pasta.
What is Spaghetti?
Spaghetti is the long, thin type of pasta. It is cylindrical and made of milled wheat. Among the different types of pasta, spaghetti is one of my favourite. Spaghetti, linguine and fettuccine. You can use this jollof spaghetti recipe for other types of pasta like linguine, macaroni, fettuccine and the likes.
Anything Jollof is always a winner for me. I mean Jollof rice which inspired this recipe is legendary. It’s one dish that pleases the palate of different ethnicities. Nigerians and Africans did good with Jollof and we are forever grateful for Jollof..well i am.
My family loves spaghetti and believe i don’t cook it enough. Anytime i cook this dish, it’s always praises from the hubs and my girls. It’s one of their favourite dishes. However way i cook it, whether it’s spaghetti and minced meat sauce or jollof spaghetti or the many other ways i cook it, it’s always a winner for them. Let me just say it’s one i keep in my arsenal. Like i can totally get them to do whatever i want if i tell them I’l make spaghetti for lunch or dinner…you know in this life, you just have to use what you have to get what you want ????
Easy Jollof spaghetti recipe (Jollof pasta)
I cooked this recipe with jumbo prawns and chicken making it Prawn and chicken jollof spaghetti. My love of prawns is out of this world and if you’ve been following my cooking long enough on instagram, you know this already. Like i use it in almost all my cooking. Prawn is super tasty and good source of protein and also low calories. So what’s not to love about it? Meanwhile do you know about my other website weightloss republic? It’s for safe and sustainable weightloss on Nigerian food. Check it out and you’ll be glad you did.
For this recipe, you can subtitute shrimp for prawns. Also, you don’t have to use prawns and chicken to cook this. You can make it plain jollof Spaghetti or add vegetables.
How to make sauce for spaghetti (Jollof spaghetti base)
The whole point of Jollof spaghetti is spaghetti cooked slowly in tomato sauce and that is why parboiling rice or spagetti before adding it into sauce is a no for me personally. I do not want jollof spaghetti that taste like spaghetti mixed with stew. I am about the real deal. The real jollof! Moist yet al dente.
This spaghetti recipe is super delicious, moist and al dente. It’s just superb
One of the most important part in cooking super jollof is the pepper base. As a rule, i use more of red peppers than tomatoes in my pepper selection for most of my stew based recipes as one, too much tomatoes can make it taste sour/tangy. Secondly, red pepper gives the natural reddish/orange colour most people find hard to acheive with their jollof. I am also generous with pepper/spaghetti ratio. This is also important so the outcome is rich, tasty jollof.
How to cook jollof spaghetti (spaghetti jollof)
For this jollof spaghetti recipe you will need spaghetti, red long peppers or red bell peppers, tomatoes, Scotch bonnets, spices, vegetable or sunflower oil, prawns, chicken breasts and other ingredients as listed in the recipe card below.
Spaghetti jollof recipe
1) Blend the red peppers, scotch bonnet and onions. Set aside.
Season Prawn and chicken breast with Multipurpose seasoning and salt.
Place a pot on heat, add vegetable oil then add in the chicken to fry. Before the chicken is fried, add in the prawns (prawns take less time to cook hence adding it later than chicken)
2) Take out the chicken and prawns from the oil, then add in chopped onion and tomato puree. Fry for 3 minutes.
3) Add in the blended pepper, curry, thyme, multipurpose seasoning, stock cube and salt. Leave to fry for 7 minutes.
4) Add in water or beef/chicken broth. Cover pot and leave to boil before adding in sphaghetti and the fried chicken and prawns.
5) Cover the pot, reduce heat and leave spaghetti to steam in the sauce for 15 minutes or till cooked.
6) Stir, taste for salt and adjust accordingly. Simmer for 3 minutes and take off heat.
- 3 Large Long red peppers or Bell peppers
- 2 Scotch bonnets
- 4 Plum tomatoes or 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 750 g Spaghetti
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbspn dried thyme
- 1 tspn Multipurpose seasoning K's Cuisine
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable or Sunflower oil
- 3 tbspn tomato puree
- 2 Stock cubes
- 400 g Prawns
- 600 g Chicken breast diced
- Blend the Red peppers, tomatoes, scotch bonnets and red onion. Set aside.
- Add Sunflower oil in a pan, heat then add in the chicken. When chicken is almost fried, add in the prawns to fry.
- Take out the fried chicken and prawns from the oil. Add tomato puree and chopped onions in the oil and fry for 3 minutes before adding the blended pepper.
- Add in stockcubes, curry powder, thyme and salt and leave to fry for 10 minutes before adding water or chicken broth. Cover pot and leave to boil.
- Add in Spaghetti, chicken and prawns, cover pot and leave to cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till spaghetti is cooked.
- Stir, taste and adjust seasoning. Simmer for 3 minutes and take off heat
Check out these other amazing recipes:
Don’t forget to leave a comment below just to say hello, or feedback when you try our recipes 🙂