As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
Super tasty Nigerian fish stew – Fried fish stew! This red African stew made with fish, peppers and spices is easy to make and it is versatile. You can pair with ewedu or okro to eat swallow, have it with rice, on pasta, with plantain and other foods. This one is a keeper for Fish stew lovers.
This spicy fish stew recipe is also quick and let me warn you, this easy fish stew recipe will get you licking your fingers.
For this African fish stew you can use any type of fish. I have used hake fish for this Fried Fish Stew. Hake is one of my favourite fish. You can use sea bream, tilapia fish, croacker fish, mackerel, stock fish and the likes. I have other fish recipes on the blog you can also try including fresh fish stew and Mackerel Stew.
Fish stew Ingredients
Just before i go on let me tell you this..I dislike frying fish!. I rarely do as i grill most of the time, however when i do fry fish, i make use of chip pan as this reduces risk of splashes and spills, no need for turning the sides to fry and its just convenient.
Easy fish recipe
This recipe takes less than an hour and you only need few ingredients. Let’s Cook:
Fish Stew Ingredients
Ingredients you will need for this recipe include bell peppers, Scotch bonnets or habanero, tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, multipurpose seasoning, salt, vegetable or sunflower oil, (full list and measurements in recipe card below)
How to make Nigerian fish stew
1) Blend the long peppers, Scotch bonnet, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and onions. Set aside.
2) Clean and season fish with stock cube, Multipurpose seasoning and salt. Mix well.
3) Add vegetable or Sunflower oil in a pot or chip pan. When the oil is heated, add seasoned fish and fry fish till golden brown.
4) Add vegetable or sunflower in a different pot, then add chopped onions. Sautee onions for 2 minutes before adding the blended pepper.
5) Add stock cube and salt. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes or till stew is fried before adding the fried fish.
6) Cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes then take off heat.
That’s Nigerian Fish Stew ready.
Another beautiful picture of Nigerian Fish Stew. Yummy!
More Stew recipes :
Nigerian Fish Stew – Fried Fish Stew
- 3 Bell peppers
- 3 Scotch bonnets
- 4 Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Small Brown Onion To sautee in oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Thumbsize Ginger
- 1.5 kg Fish Gutted and cut into fillet
- 1.5 Cup Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
- 2 Stock cubes
- Blend the bell peppers, scotch bonnets, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and onions. Set aside.
- Clean and season fish with 1 stock cube, Multipurpose seasoning and salt. Mix well.
- Add vegetable or Sunflower oil in a pot or chip pan. When the oil is heated add seasoned fish and fry till golden brown.
- Add vegetable or sunflower oil in a different pot, then add chopped onions. Sautee onions for 2 minutes before adding the blended pepper.
- Add the remaining stock cube and salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes or till stew is fried before adding the fried fish.
- Leave stew to fry for another 5-10 minutes before taking off heat. Thats Nigerian Fish Stew done.
- Serve with rice, plantain, swallow or any food of choice
I love hearing how you get on with my recipes, so feedback when you make this.
Till my next post,