As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Hello people. Hope you all had a good Easter holiday and churned out delicious foods for your family. I did have a good though busy one as K’s Cuisine got it’s first catering order a week after it introduced the service. The interesting part is the order was placed based on the trust in my recipes as she had tried my sponge cake recipe( HERE) and she said it came out ‘moist, fluffy and delicious’ so she wanted me to bake her a cake to mark her dad’s birthday. I initially refused as I am not a professional in cake decoration but she was persistent and said she’s more interested in the cake itself and not the decorating. I accepted and she also placed orders for food (Jollof rice, fried rice, peppered beef and chicken). I can tell you not only did K’s Cuisine get a great, warm review but I made a friend/sister in Hariat 🙂 .
Now let’s talk about fresh fish stew. Fresh fish stew aka Obe eja tutu like my Yoruba people call it is different to Fresh fish pepper soup ( which I will be bringing you the recipe soon) is one of the simplest and quickest to make Nigerian stew. It also goes with most food but it’s compatibility with rice is 100 percent ! lol.
When it comes to fresh fish stew and traditional stews and soups my rules are:
Firstly, No Curry, thyme, and the rest.. I’m sure you know this already if you’ve been a follower of my recipes.
Secondly, endeavour to always use freshly blended pepper for fresh fish stew and not parboiled pepper. Believe me when I say it tells on the taste.
Lastly, You don’t have to follow my rules as with cooking there are no hard and set rules. It’s all about personal preference so you can release that breath you’ve been holding..lol.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
3 medium size fresh fish of your choice (I used Tilapia here)
400ml Blended pepper (combination of scotch bonnet- rodo, red pepper- tatashe, tomatoes and onion)
1 onion (chopped)
2 Bouillion cubes ( I use maggi )
2 cooking spoons Vegetable or Sunflower oil
1) Prepare the fish by descaling, cutting and cleaning. Marinate with salt and one stock cube mixture and set it aside for 10 minutes or more while you blend pepper.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a pot, add the chopped onions and stir till onions are translucent. This takes about a minute.
3) Add in the blended pepper, maggi cubes, salt, a cup of water and cover to boil. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
Use freshly blended pepper and not pre boiled.
4) Stir the stew and if too thick add water then add the fish, cover the pot and leave to cook for another 10-15 minutes while stirring occasionally by rotating the pot in a circular motion.
Do not use spoon to stir after you’ve added in fish.
5) Take off heat and leave pot partially uncovered to cool. Fresh fish stew is ready.
Serve with rice, yam, Pounded yam, any other solid. Fresh fish soup is best eaten on same day.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog for notifications of new recipes. Also like K’s Cuisine fan page on www.facebook.com/kscuisine.