Vegetable Chicken curry is one of my favourite curries simply because it's full of nutrients, easy and quick to put together. This is one way of eating vegetables (Remember 5 a day) ????
When I posted the recipe for Native Jollof rice (Recipe HERE), I mentioned how much I like rice and how I have 1 million and 1 ways (not quite) of spicing it up. Well, here is another of the numerous sauces that goes with rice. I however enjoy this most with Basmati rice (Golden sella basmati) or the ever faithful Easy cook rice.
This curry is simple to prepare and is very forgiving in that you can't go wrong with it. It allows substitution of ingredients and you can even leave out some ingredients and still have that amazing taste (don't leave out the mixed peppers please). It makes a nice dinner and above all it's healthy. So here we go :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-5)
2 cups diced or chopped mixed vegetables (green peas, carrot, sweetcorn, and any other vegetables of your choice)
3 cups sliced mixed peppers (red, yellow, green peppers)
2 Onions (sliced)
1 clove of Garlic (chopped)
2 bouillion cubes ( I use maggi cubes)
1-2 tablespoon Curry powder
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 teaspoon thyme
1 cup (250ml) Coconut milk or 1 cup of water or chicken broth
2 tablespoon Corn flour or Plain flour
Cubed or Shredded grilled Chicken
¼ cup Liver (optional)
1 cooking spoon vegetable or sunflower oil
1) Heat the oil in a pot, add the garlic and onions and stir for 1-2minutes
2) Add the mixed peppers and stir in with the onions and garlic.
3) Add the coriander, thyme and curry powder. Stir for another two minutes for the spices to release its flavours.
4) Add the coconut milk or water, stock cube and bring the sauce to the boil.
One of the reasons why this dish is forgiving is that you can substitute water for coconut milk. I've done this many times and still get very good result.
5) Add chicken, the mixed vegetables and salt to taste and then lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
6) Mix 2 tablespoons of corn flour with about 20ml of water in a cup and add to the sauce. This thickens the sauce and makes it creamy. Leave to cook simmer for another minute.
Note: I like my vegetable chicken curry thick and creamy. If you prefer it with more juice and not as thick add more coconut milk or water than i did in this recipe.
See how colourful and creamy the curry is? Delicious.
7) Take off heat and Vegetable chicken curry is ready to eat.
Serve with rice. You can also serve with pasta, yam, potatoes, plantain or have it as a stand alone meal.
Vegetable chicken curry and rice
Want to try another sauce to accompany rice? Check out my Chilli con carne recipe HERE.
Don't forget to subscribe to the blog for notifications of new posts. Also like K's Cuisine fan page on facebook at www.facebook.com/kscuisine.