If you like Coconut, you'll love this recipe for moist, delicious, Coconut cake. It's easy to make and full of coconut goodness and has a bit of texture.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time : 50 minutes
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT CAKE
INGREDIENTS ( makes 8 inch cake )
250g Granulated sugar
350g Plain flour
100g Desiccated coconut
4 teaspoons Baking powder
Grated lemon zest (Optional)
1 teaspoon Coconut essence or extract
Tip: Measure all ingredients ready, grease and line the bottom of the baking pan with baking sheet before commencing.
1) Sift the plain flour and baking powder in a bowl, mix in desiccated coconut and set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugar and beat with electric mixer till it’s fluffy and turns pale.
3) Break the eggs into a bowl, add coconut extract or essence, lemon zest, nutmeg and beat the mixture lightly.
4) Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture very slowly while still mixing with electric mixer. This is to prevent the mixture from curdling.
5) Stop the electric mixer and carefully fold flour into the mixture with a big spoon or spatula. It's important you do not over mix the batter after folding in the flour as your cake will be dense and hard if you do so.
6) Pour batter into lined baking pan and bake in pre heated oven at 180 degrees centigrade (gas mark 4) for 45minutes or till cake is done.
Tip: To check if cake is done, dip a toothpick or skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If it comes out wet then bake some more.
7) When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool for about 20minutes then remove from baking pan onto a rack and leave till it is well cooled.
8) Remove the baking sheet from the base.
There you have Coconut Cake.
If you want to decorate this cake, check out my buttercream recipe HERE
Don't forget to like K's Cuisine fan page on facebook at www.facebook.com/kscuisine.