Mackerel stew is one of my favourite fish stew. Mackerel fish stew is versatile. I usually keep some grilled or smoked mackerel fish in the freezer for tomato stews, for soups like Okra soup, egusi and many more. It always comes in handy for quick meals and easy recipes.
This fish stew recipe is basic yet tastes delicious. I cook mackerel stew in various ways.. One is by frying or grilling the fish , the other is by cooking the fish without frying nor grilling. This recipe is for the frying method we'll do the other method liked Smoked Mackerel Fish Stew some other time. Let's cook guys:
How to Cook Mackerel Stew (Mackerel Stew Fish)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
INGREDIENTS FOR MACKEREL STEW
2 Whole Mackerel Fish (Cut into fillet)
2 large bell pepper
4 scotch bonnet
2 400g tin plum tomatoes
4 stock cubes
4 cooking spoons Vegetable or sunflower oil
Mackerel Fish Stew
How to cook mackerel stew
1) Prepare the fish by cutting and cleaning. Marinate with salt and one stock cube. Mix then fry or grill it.
3) Add in the blended pepper, maggi cubes and salt. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
4) Stir the stew then add in the grilled or fried mackerel and leave the stew to fry and simmer for another 10 - 15 minutes.
Do not use spoon to stir after you've added in fish.
5) Take off heat and that's it done.
Serve with rice, yam, Pounded yam, any other food of choice.
That's easy, quick and simple Fish Stew recipe done.
You should Check out these other amazing recipes
Mackerel Stew - Mackerel Fish Stew
- 2 Whole Mackerel Cut into Fillet
- 2 Large Bell peppers
- 4 Scotch bonnets
- 4 Plum tomatoes
- 2 Large Onion 1 to be blended with the peppers and 1 for sauteeing
- 3 Stock cubes 1 to marinate Fish and 2 for Stew
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- Prepare the Mackerel by cutting and cleaning. Marinate with salt and one stock cube, mix and then grill of fry mackerel Fish.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot, add the chopped onions and stir till onions are translucent. This takes about a minute or two.
- Add in the blended pepper, stock cube and salt. Leave to cook for 15-20 minutes
- Stir the stew athen add in the grilled or fried mackerel and leave the stew to fry and simmer for another 10 -15 minutes.
- Take off heat and that's Mackerel Fish stew ready.
This post was originally published June 26, 2015. It has now been republished with some new pictures August 2019.