As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
How to make Lafun ! Lafun also called white amala (cassava flour fufu) is Nigerian swallow made with Cassava flour. It is eaten with soups like Ewedu, Okro Soup, efo riro and other delicious Nigerian soups.
I remember not eating this Nigerian swallow often while growing up reason being my mum rarely ever made it. The few times i had it back then was at buka joints/restaurants. It used to be cheaper than the black amala. You get almost double the quantity for the same price of black amala. I am guessing now they will go for about the same price (not sure as i haven’t bought this in buka/restaurants for years now) as cassava flour is now almost same price as yam flour.
I do now prepare Lafun often and my family loves it. This is how i prepare Lafun :
What is Cassava flour ?
Cassava flour used for lafun is white in colour and it is derived from cassava. Cassava is processed, dried and blended to powdery form to make cassava flour. In Nigeria, we call it Lafun
Cassava flour benefits
Contains resistant starch which benefit the digestive tract and reduce bloating and inflammation. It feeds good bacteria and aid good digestion.
How to make Lafun – White amala (Cassava flour Fufu)
Unlike amala that is prepared on stovetop from the start, white amala is started off heat then later put on stove top. Infact most people commonly prepare Lafun without the need for stove top just like one prepares Eba but i personally like to steam on stove for 2 minutes. It gives the Lafun a bit of stretch which i like and also gives smoother Lafun.
How to prepare Cassava flour fufu (Lafun -white amala)
You will need Cassava flour, Water, Turning spoon and pot (Quantity in recipe card below)
1) Sieve Cassava flour
2) In a pot, add boiling water then add in cassava flour.
3) Stir till cassava flour is incorporated
4) Add hot water, put on stove and steam for 2 minutes.
5) Stir till Lafun is smooth and lump free
Lafun is yummy!
Other recipes you might like are:
How to make Lafun – White amala (Cassava flour fufu)
- Turning spoon
- 2 Cups Cassava flour
- 4 Cups Water
- Sieve Cassava flour
- In a pot, add boiling water then add in cassava flour. Stir till cassava flour is incorporated
- Add 1/2 Cup hot water, put on stove and steam for 2 minutes
- Stir till Lafun is smooth and lump free. Take off heat.
- Serve Lafun with soup of choice like Ewedu and Buka Stew like in picture below or other soups like Okro soup, Nigerian turkey stew, efo riro, Egusi soup, etc
Don’t forget to feedback when you try this recipe. Also follow K’s Cuisine on instagram HERE
See you in next post,