There is Palava sauce, Yorubas have ewedu asepo, and I present to you ewedu egusi asepo. This recipe came about because I made ila asepo with egusi (recipe HERE). My husband doesn't eat okro and I thought oh then let me make him ewedu version of the okro and that was what I did. Truth be told I couldn't stop licking his soup. It was so good and I'm glad not only did I come up with okro egusi asepo, I did ewedu egusi asepo and both tasted amazing! Don't just take my words for it. Try it yourself. Infact I will be cooking my ila and ewedu asepos with egusi henceforth. So ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my ewedu egusi asepo!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Iru (locust beans)
1) Boil the assorted meat ( shaki, ponmo,etc) seperately and set aside.
3) Pick the ewedu leaves, rinse and blend.
3) Boil the beef with maggi cube and salt.
Tip: Do not add water to the beef. Beef brings out water when boiling. Just boil (more like steaming) on low heat and watch the meat bring out water.
4) When beef is tender, there will be stock in the pot from the beef. Add the assorted meat, smoked fish, palm oil, prawns and crayfish. Cover and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
7) Cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes
8) Add ewedu, stir and taste for salt and seasoning, adjust accordingly and reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
9) That's Ewedu egusi alasepo done.
Enjoy with pounded yam, Eba, Amala, Semo or any other solid.
Bon appetit. For Ila egusi asepo recipe, click HERE.