As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
When I made the post on Ewa agoyin i narrated how much I hated eating beans as a kid. If you missed the post click HERE for Ewa agonyin recipe.
My daughter so far doesn’t like eating beans too and refuses to eat when I cook beans (talk of Karma) I just pray she doesn’t show me half of what I showed my mum..lol. I was such a picky eater and a very stubborn one at that.
In order to make beans appealing I deviced methods of cooking it and one is this Jollof beans recipe. You might ask why Jollof beans? because it’s rich and full of goodness. This is how I make Jollof beans..
2 cup Beans ( white or black eyed beans)
2 cooking spoon palm oil or vegetable oil or sunflower oil
1 scotch bonnet and 1 bell pepper ( blended) or 2 tablespoon ground dry pepper
1 brown onion ( chopped)
1 cup mixed vegetables (optional)
1 cup gizzard and liver- chopped and fried (optional)
1 smoked dry catfish or mackerel(optional)
1) Wash beans and cook in a pressure pot. If you don’t have pressure pot cook with a regular pot till beans soft.
2) Pour palm oil in a pot and put on medium heat. Add chopped onions and stir for 1-2 minutes. This gives a nice aroma and flavour.
3) Pour the blended pepper in the oil, add bouillon (maggi cubes), smoked fish and salt. Let this fry for 3-5 minutes. If you are using ground dry pepper mix with 1/3 cup of water.
4) Add the cooked beans into the pepper mixture and add a cup of water. Don’t make it too watery. If your cooked beans has high water content already you might not need to add water. Cover the pot and let the beans cook with the pepper mixture for 3-5 minutes.
5) Use cooking spoon to mash the beans and add the mixed vegetables. At this stage you have to keep stirring the beans at regular intervals or the beans will start burning.
I like the beans well mashed that it practically melts in the mouth. If you don’t like it this way then don’t mash it too much.
Like K’s Cuisine on facebook for updates, recipes and pictures. Click the link below to get to the page and click the like button.