This egusi soup recipe is for how to make egusi soup that is delicious in quick, easy steps. Pair this with your favourite swallow or rice for satisfying meal.
Hello people, how has you week been? mine has been eventful.
This week few days ago my daughter got her hands on my sd card which contains food pictures for the blog and patterned it with her teeth! Don't even ask me how she got her hands on it as that alone is what movies are made of..lol. The card got spoilt and that was all my food pictures gone! I was horrified and here goes my conversation with her
me: Zee, my card is spoilt! what happened to it?
Zee (with a cute, innocent smile on her face) : mummy, I used my teeth to do it like this trying to demonstrate
me: bewildered look and lost for words all I could muster was don't do it again ok? I've told you not to put foreign things in your mouth. mummy is not happy
Zee: Ok mummy. I won't do it again. Sorry mummy.
If only she realised what she had just done. Kids are oh just so innocent. Bless their hearts. oh well, will have to re do taking pictures and blogging when next I make the dishes I had planned on uploading. So for now, it's another egusi soup recipe.
EGUSI SOUP RECIPE
Truth is there are many methods of cooking egusi soup. There is Egusi Ijebu, there's lumpy egusi for those who like egusi balls and here I am giving you another method of cooking Egusi soup.
For this egusi soup recipe, you can either use the frying method or the non frying method. Here I have used the non frying method and have used 2 different types of vegetables. In future, I will blog about the frying method of cooking Ofe Egusi..for now, cook with me:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
EGUSI SOUP INGREDIENTS
2 cups melon seed
3 maggi cubes ( or any stock cubes of your choice)
1 cup palmoil
3 scotch bonnet (rodo)
2 bell peppers (big tatashe)
1 red onion
400g tin plum tomatoes
1 brown onion
Assorted meat (Beef, tripe, ponmo,etc..)
Dry Shawa (optional)
Smoked dry catfish
¼ cup grounded crayfish
Locust beans - Iru
100g pumpkin leaves or Kale (Ugu) and 100g of spring greens
HOW TO MAKE EGUSI SOUP
1) Wash, season and boil the beef or chicken and assorted meats.
It's advisable you boil beef separately from offals.
2) Blend the scotch bonnet, bell pepper, plum tomato and onion.
The combination of pepper above is a guide only. What you need is about 650ml of blended pepper so you can combine like you would normally to get 650ml.
3) Blend the brown onion with the melon seeds to form a thick paste.
4) Clean the smoked dry fish by soaking in hot water for few minutes and rinsing well
5) In a pot, add palm oil, leave to heat for 2 minutes then add the blended pepper, maggi cubes and beef stock. Cover the pot and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
6) Add smoked fish, beef, assorted meat, locust beans and crayfish. Stir together and leave to cook for another 10 minutes.
7) After the 10 minutes, open the pot and stir the stew. Now add the dry fish, assorted meat and locust at this stage and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
8) Scoop in the onion/egusi paste, cover the pot and leave to cook for yet another 10 minutes
9) Stir the soup and leave to cook for 5 minutes or till oil floats to the top.
When oil floats to the top, it's an indication that your egusi soup is well cooked.
10) At the end of the 5 minutes, stir and add vegetable to the soup.
I used two types of vegetables here. spring greens and Kale. You can use just one type of vegetable or more.
11) Then add Kale or Ugu
12) Stir in the vegetable and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
Finally, you have Ofe egusi
What to serve Egusi with
You can serve with rice or swallow like:
or any swallow of Choice.
Yummy two vegetable egusi soup.
Egusi soup - How to make Egusi soup
- 2 Cups Melon seed (egusi)
- 1 Cup Palmoil
- 3 Scotch bonnet (rodo)
- 2 Large Bell pepper
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- Assorted meat tripe, beef, ponmo
- Smoked fish
- ¼ Cup Ground Crayfish
- 2 tbsp Locust beans Optional
- Beef Stock
- 250g Vegetable Kale, Ugu, Spinach
- Wash, season and boil the beef or chicken and assorted meats.
- Blend the scotch bonnet, bell pepper, plum tomato and onion.
- Blend the brown onion with the melon seeds to form a thick paste and set aside.
- Clean the smoked dry fish by soaking in hot water for few minutes and rinsing well.
- In a pot, add palm oil, leave to heat for 2 minutes then add the blended pepper, maggi cubes and beef stock. Cover the pot and leave to cook for 10 minutes. Add smoked fish, beef, assorted meat, locust beans and crayfish. Stir together and leave to cook for another 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, open the pot and stir the stew.
- Add the dry fish, assorted meat and locust at this stage and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Scoop in the onion/egusi paste, cover the pot and leave to cook for yet another 10 minutes. Stir the soup and leave to cook for 5 minutes or till oil floats to the top.
- At the end of the 5 minutes, stir and add vegetable (Kale, ugu or any vegetable of choice) to the soup. Stir in the vegetable and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and serve
If you prefer lumpy Egusi click HERE .
Other delicious recipes on the blog
Jollof rice - Nigerian Jollof rice
Don't forget to subscribe to the blog. Also Like K's Cuisine fan page on www.facebook.com/kscuisine and follow K's Cuisine on instagram at www.instagram.com/kscuisine
This post was first published September 2014. Republished October 2019
" Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"- John Wooden
I am going to try this out ASAP...Sumone has to work on our tech, some new tech dat ll make us taste strait from the internet. Good job K
Bola Awe says
How sweet and innocent kids can be!!! This egusi has taken me to lalaland!!! Will be using this recipe next time I cook egusi soup. Thanks for sharing
K's Cuisine says
You know! Sometimes I wish I can go back to being a kid and not have any worry..lol. Do let me know when you try this method. You're welcome dear????