As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
The best orange cake recipe! Easy to make, soft, fluffy and moist. Made with zest and fresh orange juice for that citrusy flavour. You can serve for afternoon tea, dessert or as party cake. Let me show you how to make easy orange cake from scratch.
This Simple orange cake recipe is so simple with amazing outcome. You know i’m all about simplifying recipes without compromising on taste. Just look how fluffy it is..don’t you just want to have a taste. Yes? Make yours with this easy cake recipe.
What can you make with a lot of oranges? This orange cake recipe is one. You don’t need a lot though just one whole orange is called for in this recipe and you get perfect orange cake.
Orange Cake Recipe
This recipe is quiet easy with no fuss and you get amazing outcome. No need for boiling orange or using cake mix. This is as easy as it gets. You can top with orange drizzle, frost with butter cream or even fondant.
Let me give you some reasons why this is the best orange cake recipe.
It’s easy to make and require just few ingredients.
No special skill required and any one can make it. Even kids under supervision.
Failproof recipe. You get fluffy, moist, soft cake all the time with this recipe. No trial and error.
Now let me show you how to make moist, sponge orange cake.
Tools for Baking Cake
Cake tester – skewer or toothpick
Ingredients for Orange Cake
Self raising flour
How to make orange cake
In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugar and beat with electric mixer till it’s fluffy and turns pale.
Break the eggs into a bowl, add orange zest and juice then whisk.
Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture very slowly while still mixing with electric mixer. This is to prevent the mixture from curdling.
Add the flour to the mixture by folding it in with spatula. Do not over mix the batter. Overmixing might make the cake dense.
Grease baking pan with buter and layer with baking sheet. Pour batter into lined baking pan and bake in pre heated oven at 170C for 40 minutes or till cake is done.
Bring out and leave in the cake pans for 5 minutes before turning on the cooling rack to cool.
K’s Cuisine tip: To check if cake is done, dip a toothpick or skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If it comes out wet then bake some more.
There you have fluffy Orange cake.
Tips for Orange Cake Recipe
- Sift flour before use
- Bring eggs to room temperature.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter. When you add flour, mix with spatula and then low power setting on the mixer to mix for a minute. Overmixing result in dense cake.
How to store Orange Cake
Allow orange cake to cool completely and wrap in clingfilm. Although this cake can last up to 3 days at room temperature, to be safe, store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Cake recipes on the blog
More Easy recipes
If you try this recipe, rate it and leave comment below. Don’t forget to use the share button below and share on social media. Also subscribe to the blog for notifications of new recipes and follow along on instagram and pinterest for latest updates.
Best Orange Cake Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Cake pan – 8 inch
- Cake tester
- 150 g Butter
- 140 g Sugar granulated or Caster
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 Orange zest whole orange
- 3-4 tablespoon Orange juice
- 160 g Self raising flour
- In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugar and beat with electric mixer till it's fluffy and turns pale.Break the eggs into a bowl, add orange zest and juice then whisk.
- Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture very slowly while still mixing with electric mixer. This is to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Add the flour to the mixture by folding it in with spatula. Do not over mix the batter. Overmixing might make the cake dense.
- Grease baking pan with buter and layer with baking sheet. Pour batter into lined baking pan and bake in pre heated oven at 170C for 40 minutes or till cake is done.
This post was originally published 16 April 2019, republished 13 April 2020.