As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
Easy Vanilla sponge cake recipe that is fluffy, light and delicious. This post include basic and victoria sponge cake recipe. Let me show you how to make the best sponge cake recipe ever.
SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
Sponge cake is light, airy and fluffy cake made with butter, eggs, sugar, flour and flavouring. It is one of the most popular cakes and there are many variations. There’s victoria sponge cake, vanilla sponge cake, genoise, madeira amongst others. In this post i am going to focus on the vanilla and victoria cake. They are two of or even the easiest cakes to make.
I love these easy cake recipe because:
It’s simple and quick.
Fluffy and delicious.
Perfect for the home baker and proffesional baker
Versatile and can be made for teas and celebration cakes.
If you’ve never baked a cake this is where to start. You can’t go wrong with this super simple recipe.
Whether you’re looking to bake for tea, birthday cake at home or just because, this recipe will not only give you moist sponge cake, you’ll find it so easy you’ll find yourself baking it often.
VANILLA SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
Unlike victoria sponge cake, this does not neccessarily require filling. It’s basic sponge cake flavoured with vanilla extract. It’s easy and simple to make and one of the most popular cake recipes. You can make this in round cake pan, loaf pan, square pan or any pan of choice.
VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE
Victoria sponge cake is a classic british cake named after Queen Victoria. It’s so popular that you will find it in almost all tea or cake shops in England. The light, fluffy, vanilla sponge cake is filled with jam and cream, it’s super delicious and perfect for tea time. Popularly made in round cake pan but you can also use rectangular or loaf pan.
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED FOR BAKING SPONGE CAKE
Caster or granulated sugar
Vanilla extract (optional)
Self raising flour
Jam (for Victoria sponge)
Whipping cream (for victoria sponge)
HOW TO MAKE SPONGE CAKE
The basic recipe is weight of eggs to same as weight of butter, flour and sugar. Guide for different cake pans and video in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Don’t have self raising flour? Substitute with plain flour mixed with baking powder. Ratio is one teaspoon of baking powder to 110g plain flour to give you self raising flour.
1) In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugar and beat with electric mixer till it’s fluffy and turns pale.
2) Break the eggs into a bowl, add vanilla extract and beat the mixture lightly.
3) Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture very slowly while still mixing with electric mixer. This is to prevent the mixture from curdling.
4) Add the flour to the mixture by folding it in with a big spoon. Do not over mix the batter or you will have a dense cake.
5) Grease cake pan and layer with baking sheet. Pour batter into lined baking pan and bake in pre heated oven for 45 minutes or till cake is done.
K’s Cuisine tip: To check if cake is done, dip a toothpick or skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If it comes out wet then bake some more.
For Victoria sponge, sandwich cake with Jam and whipping cream.
There you have it! fluffy and light.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter. When you add flour, mix with spatula and then low power setting on the mixer to mix for a minute. Overmixing result in dense cake.
- It doesn’t have to be vanilla, you can add any type of flavouring like orange, lemon, nutmeg and any other flavouring of choice.
HOW TO STORE
Allow cake to cool completely and wrap in clingfilm. Though cake can last up to 3 days at room temperature, to be safe, store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
OTHER CAKE RECIPES ON THE BLOG
SOME SNACKS RECIPE YOU’LL LOVE
Sponge Cake – Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe
- Cake pans
2 (8 inch cake pan)
- 300 g Butter
- 300 g Sugar Granulated or Caster
- 300 g Eggs (5-6 eggs depending on size)
- 300 g Self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Jam for victoria sponge cake
For 1 Loaf tin, use 150g of all ingredients listed above except vanilla extract and baking powder. Use a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.
- Prepare cake pan by rubbing butter in and line with baking paper/parchment paper. Set pan aside.
- Add butter and sugar in a mixing bowl then use hand or stand mixer to mix till batter is light and fluffy.
- Break eggs in a seperate bowl (I do this so if there are any bad eggs in the batch, it wouldn't ruin the cake batter).
- Add milk and vanilla flavouring to the eggs and whisk before adding the whisked eggs in the butter and sugar mixture.
- Mix with the mixer for few minutes then add flour in the batter and mix with spatula. Fold in till well incorporated.
- Pour cake batter in lined cake pans and place in pre heated oven. Bake at temperature of 170C for 45 minutes or till cake tester when inserted comes out clean.
- Turn cake onto cooling rack and leave to cool.
If you try this recipe, rate it and leave comment below. Don’t forget to use the share button below and share on social media.
This post was originally published February 19, 2014. Republished Fevrruary 2020 to add printable recipe card.