As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Sausage rolls like meat pie (recipe HERE) is one of the most popular Nigerian pastry. I rarely eat sausage rolls because most sausages are made from pork and as a muslim girl that is a big no for me. I get the beef sausages and use instead but they are not readily available in stores most times.
Last weekend, a client ordered some sausage rolls and I used the opportunity to take some pictures to use for this post. It was a busy weekend as I had lots of cooking and baking to do so I was unable to take as many pictures as I would have liked. No fancy plating pictures here 🙂
This batch was made with pork sausage so I could only taste the pastry but my client described the sausage rolls as awesome. I got back home from meal deliveries and the message waiting for me from her was ” I have tasted the sausage rolls and Agege bread and they were awesome.Thank you very much. Will let you know when I taste the Ksignature stew“. So people, here is my awesome 🙂 sausage rolls recipe:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
500g Self raising flour
2 Egg yolk
1 teaspoon Salt
For the filling:
1 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon ground pepper (optional)
1 bouillion cube (maggi cube)
1) Remove the sausages from the sheath, put them in a bowl , add black pepper, cayenne pepper, maggi cube and mix well. Set this aside.
2) In a mixing bowl put the flour and salt, mix well, add butter and mix with your hands until you get a crumby texture.
3) Add the egg yolks and the milk to the flour and mix thoroughly. Knead and leave the dough to rest for 15 minutes in a cool place. You can pop it in the fridge.
Tip: Don’t overwork the dough. This is to prevent pie from shrinking or cracking when baked.
4) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to about 1/4 of an inch thin and cut dough into rectangular shape.
5) Put the sausage in a straight line along the edge of the rectangle
6) Roll up the dough, brush edges with egg to seal the fold.
7) Cut the rolled dough into equal sizes depending on how big or small you want it and place on a parchment lined tray.
8) Pierce with fork or make slashes with knife on the sausage rolls before brushing with egg for a shiny finish.
9) Bake in preheated oven at 160 degrees for 40 minutes or until sausage rolls are done.
10) Enjoy with chilled drink such as Maltina, fruit juice, tropical lush slush (Recipe HERE).
Quote of the day: ” The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday”- Unknown
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog for updates on new recipes. Also like K’s Cuisine fanpage on www.facebook.com/kscuisine.
Have a good weekend 🙂