As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
Shito pepper ! Easy, delicious shito sauce that is versatile and can be served on variety of meals. This Ghananian hot sauce sometimes called kpakpo shito recipe is simple. Let me show you how to make shito.
This shito pepper recipe is by Magaret Everitt. I met Magaret on a food group and this girl right here can cook! She is a real foodie and a hardworking adorable mum. The consistency which she churns food out in her kitchen for her and her ‘crews’ as she calls them is amazing and will make you want to go live with her if only just for a weekend. Not only is Margaret a good cook, she bakes and decorates cake beautifully (Watch out for a post on her business- N3 parties and bakes).
She is a fun, real person and no dull moment with her. She empowers and is down to earth. We share food tips, laugh and stories among many other things. We bond so well that it’s hard to believe we only just recently met. Margaret loves sharing and has sent in her recipe to share with K’s Cuisine readers.
I hereby present to you Margaret Everitt’s Shito pepper sauce (Recipe and pictures all courtesy of Magaret).
WHAT IS SHITO
Shito is Ghanaian hot chili sauce also called kpakpo shito. It is made with peppers, fish, garlic, onions, oil, spices and others. These ingredients are usually blended together and cooked in oil till the sauce is formed. Shito is dark brown in colour and can be served as side to most dishes such as waakye, kenkey, white rice, as dip, topping and much more.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHITO PEPPER
For this shito pepper recipe, you’ll need the following:
3-4 big onions
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grounded crayfish
3 Knorr cubes
1 cup shawa/bonga fish
2 Green kpakpo shito chilli (or to taste)
1 scotch bonnet (add more if you like it hot)
2 tablespoon tomato puree
3 inch fresh ginger
2 cups oil ( peanut oil, vegetable oil, rapeseed oil or use any of your choice)
HOW TO MAKE SHITO
This recipe is easy, detailed and you get the most delicious shito pepper ever. This is one of the best shito recipes and you won’t be dissapointed.
1) Chop onions and ginger.
2) Wash the Shawa (dry fish) and set aside
3) Heat some oil in a pot and start frying the chopped onions and ginger in the oil.
3) Fry onions till brown
4) When onions browned, take off heat and sieve the oil.
6) Add some of the sieved oil from frying onions into the blender, add in the fried ginger/onions, Shawa/bongs fish, tomato puree and pepper. Blend smoothly
Do no use water for blending. The oil makes the pepper blend smoothly without water.
7) Pour blended pepper mixture back in same pot with the oil and start frying. Add more oil if need be.
8) Add the crayfish, maggi cubes and keep stirring the sauce to prevent it burning.
The sauce starts to bubble. lower the heat at this point.
9) Then it looks like picture below and your shito is ready.
Eat with yam, beans or any food of choice. You can store in bottle jar.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SHITO PEPPER
Yam check out my post on how to cook yam
Beans like Ewa Agoyin
HOW TO STORE SHITO PEPPER
Leave to cool completely before putting in airtight container or jars and store in the fridge for up to 1 month or in the freezer for up to a year.
MORE RECIPES ON THE BLOG
If you try this recipe, rate it and leave comment below. Don’t forget to use the share button below and share on social media.
This post was first published July 14, 2014. Republished to add printable recipe card February 2020.
Shito Pepper – Shito Sauce
- 4 large Onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Ground Crayfish
- 1/2 cup Bonga fish
- 3 Stock cubes – Knorr
- 2 Green kpakpo shito pepper or to taste
- 1 Scotch bonnet as much as you can tolerate
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 2 cups Oil Rapeseed, peanut, vegetable or any other oil of choice.
- 3 inch Ginger
- Chop onions and peel the ginger.
- Wash the Shawa (dry fish) and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pot and start frying the chopped onions and ginger in the oil.
- Fry onions till brown and when onions are browned, take off heat and sieve the oil.
- Add some of the sieved oil from frying onions into the blender, add in the fried ginger/onions, Shawa/bongs fish, tomato puree and pepper. Blend smoothly.Do no use water for blending. The oil makes the pepper blend smoothly without water.
- Pour blended pepper mixture back in same pot with the oil and start frying. Add more oil if need be.
- Add the crayfish, maggi cubes and keep stirring the sauce to prevent it burning.The sauce starts to bubble. lower the heat at this point.
- Then it looks like picture below and your shito is ready.
- Eat with yam, beans or any food of choice. You can store in bottle jar.
” Friendship is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything”- Muhammad Alli