How to fry plantain - Fried plantain. This Fried plantain recipe is straightforward and quick. Crisp outside and fluffy inside, plantain is perfect as sides to rice dishes and beans dishes. Paired with fried eggs or eaten on it's own.
Fried plantain is sweet and soft inside. This simple delicious west african, jamaican and cuban delicacy is popular. In Nigeria, fried plantain is a popular street food. It is made with plantain and quick to make.
Just before i continue with how to fry plantain, I'd like to inform you of my new blog called Recipe Vibes. Recipe vibes will detail my non Nigerian recipes. Recipes to expect are homemade, easy, quick, healthy, creative recipes and much more. Visit www.recipevibes.com for more details.
Back to African plantain recipe,
What is plantain
Plantain is also called cooking bananas. It is common in African and Carribean cuisines and grown in tropical regions around the world.
Is plantain the same as banana?
Plantain and banana look alike however they have different taste and can not usually be substituted for one another in recipes.
Banana is sweet and can be eaten raw. Plantain is bigger than banana and have thicker skin. Unlike banana they are not usually eaten raw as they are more starchy.
Fried plantain is called dodo in Nigeria and Kelewele in Ghana.
How to cook plantain
Plantain can be cooked in many ways including:
Fried as i'll be showing you in this recipe
How to fry plantain
This recipe makes use of ripe plantain which is the best type for fried plantain. I also don't add salt to fry plantain as they are naturally sweet.
1) Peel and slice plantains.
2) Add oil in a pan and put on heat. When oil is heated , arrange cut plantains in the oil.
3)Fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat or till golden brown then turn to fry the other side.
4) Transfer to kitchen towel lined plate to drain excess oil then serve.
How to Fry Plantain without oil
1) Peel and cut plantain.
2) Place non stick pan on heat and arrange cut up plantains
3) Pan fry for about 5 minutes or till brown then turn and pan fry the other side.
4) Take off heat and enjoy.
What to eat with fried plantain
You can serve as side to :
Other Plantain recipes on the blog
How to Fry Plantain - Fried plantain
- Frying pan
- 2 Ripe plantain
- 1 Cup Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and slice plantains
- Add oil in a pan and put on heat. When oil is heated, arrange cut plantain in the oil.
- Fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat or till golden brown then turn to fry the other side.
- Transfer to kitchen towel lined plate to drain excess oil then serve.
Rate this recipe below and leave a comment. I love reading from you.
Follow K's Cuisine on instagram and pinterest and do subscribe to YouTube Channel.