This Nigerian fish pepper soup is packed full of flavor, spicy, and delicious. This catfish pepper soup recipe is easy, quick, and ready in 15 minutes
Hello everyone, how are you doing?
So it's getting colder in the UK and some other parts of the world and as I have not put up a recipe for fish pepper soup, this is the right time to do so as pepper soup is one soup that soothes cold, flu, and most winter ailment.
Nigerian Fish Pepper Soup Recipe
Catfish pepper soup is a light soup that is spicy and delicious and is usually served at Nigerian restaurants and bars.
Fish peppersoup is traditionally cooked with catfish and referred to as point and kill peppersoup but you can use other types of fresh fish like Tilapia. I have used catfish for this recipe.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Fish Pepper Soup Ingredients
Fresh fish - (I used catfish here but you can also use other types of fish)
2 tablespoons pepper soup spice
Cayenne pepper or Cameroon pepper
1 yellow scotch bonnet
1 red scotch bonnet
Scent leaves or Basil
2 stock cubes
1 tablespoon ground crayfish
Full ingredient list and measurements in the recipe card.
How To Make Fish Pepper Soup
1) Cut, gut, and wash the fish then add into a pot.
I cut up some and left one whole
2) Season with stock cubes, pepper soup spice, and salt. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
3) Add about a litre of water then add in cayenne or Cameroon pepper and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
4) Add in scent leaves (Efirin) or Basil and ground crayfish.
5) Then the chopped scotch bonnet and yellow pepper. Let it simmer for 5 minutes then take off the heat.
Catfish pepper soup is ready. Serve and Enjoy.
More Recipes You'll Love
I hope you like this catfish pepper soup recipe as much as we do. If you find this post helpful, please rate it 5 stars and leave me a comment below. I love reading from you.
First published November 10, 2015.
Fish Pepper Soup (Catfish Pepper Soup)
- 1 kg Fish Catfish, or any other fish
- 2 tablespoons Pepper soup spice
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne or Cameroon pepper
- 1 red Scotch bonnet and 1 yellow pepper
- 2 Stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Efirin or Basil
- 1 tablespoon Ground crayfish
- 2 liters Water
- Cut, gut and wash the fish then add into a pot.
- Season with stock cubes, pepper soup spice, and salt. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes
- Add about a litre of water then add in cayenne or cameroon pepper and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in scent leaves or Basil and grounded crayfish, chopped scotch bonnet and yellow pepper.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes then take off the heat.
Don't forget to leave feedback as I love reading from you, also share this on Facebook and twitter using the share buttons below
Stay blessed x
"Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious"- Ruth Reichl